What is Zelnorm used for?
Zelnorm is a medicine for the short-term treatment of
women who have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) with constipation (not enough or hard bowel movements)
as their main bowel problem.
Zelnorm has not been shown to work in men with IBS.
should not take Zelnorm?
You should not start taking Zelnorm if you:
- have diarrhea or have diarrhea often
- have bad kidney or liver disease
- have ever had bowel obstruction (intestinal blockage), symptomatic gallbladder disease, or abdominal adhesions causing pain and/or intestinal blockage
- are allergic to Zelnorm or any of its ingredients
What should I tell my health care provider?
Tell your health care provider if you are:
- trying to become pregnant, are already pregnant, or are breast-feeding. Zelnorm is not recommended for use by pregnant women or women who are breast-feeding
- are taking or planning to take any other medicines, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements
What are some possible side effects of Zelnorm? (This is NOT
a complete list of side effects reported with Zelnorm. Your health care provider can
discuss with you a more complete list of side effects.)
The most common side effects are:
- abdominal pain
- "gas" (flatulance)
For more detailed information about Zelnorm, ask your health care provider or pharmacist.