What is Definity used for? Definity is a diagnostic contrast medicine (special dye)
that is used during some echocardiograms (ultrasound images of the heart) when the doctor needs to see a clearer picture of the patient’s
Who should not be given Definity?You should not be given Definity if you:
- have a heart shunt
- are allergic to octafluoropropane or to any of the other ingredients in Definity
Warnings with Definity:
Definity has not been studied in patients with the following conditions. Therefore, extreme caution should be used when considering Definity for patients with:
- severe emphysema
- inflammation of blood vessels in the lungs (pulmonary
What should I tell my health care provider?Tell your health care provider if you:
- have a heart defect since birth
- have a history of severe emphysema or other lung problems
- are trying to become pregnant, are already pregnant, or are breast-feeding
Tell your doctor about all the medicines that you take, including prescription and
non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
What are some possible side effects of Definity? (This is NOT
a complete list of side effects reported with Definity. Your health care provider can
discuss with you a more complete list of side effects.)
Definity is generally well tolerated. The most common side effects are headache,
back and kidney (renal) pain, flushing (“hot flash”), and nausea.
For more detailed information about Definity, ask your health care provider or pharmacist.