What is Abilify used for?
Abilify is used to treat schizophrenia.
Abilify has not been studied in children under 18 years of age.
Who should not take Abilify?Do not take Abilify if you are allergic to aripiprazole or any of the other
ingredients in Abilify.
General Precautions with Abilify:
- Abilify may impair judgement, thinking, or motor skills. You should be careful in operating machinery, including automobiles, until you know how Abilify affects you.
- Abilify may cause trouble swallowing (esophageal dysmotility). This can cause choking and lead to a type of pneumonia called aspiration pneumonia in some patients.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Abilify.
- It is important to avoid overheating and dehydration while taking Abilify. Abilify may make it harder to lower your body temperature.
What should I tell my health care provider?
Tell your health care provider if you:
- have any heart problems, or have had a heart attack or stroke.
- have or have had seizures. Abilify can make it easier for you to have a seizure, especially if you have or have had seizures or certain medical conditions that increase the chances of having a seizure.
- are trying to become pregnant, are already pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
Tell your health care provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your health care provider if you take:
- Tegretol (carbamazepine)
- Medicines to treat high blood pressure
Some of these medicines may cause serious side effects if used while you also take Abilify. Some of these medicines may affect how Abilify works, or Abilify may affect how these medicines work.
What are some possible side effects of Abilify? (This is NOT
a complete list of side effects reported with Abilify. Your health care provider can
discuss with you a more complete list of side effects.)
Some rare but serious side effects with Abilify include:
- Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS). Symptoms of NMS include high fever, muscle rigidity (tightness), confusion, change in pulse, blood pressure or heartbeat, and sweating. It can also lead to muscle breakdown and kidney failure.
- Tardive dyskinesia (TD). Symptoms of TD include involuntary (uncontrolled) and abnormal muscle movements.
Some common side effects with Abilify include:
- problems sleeping
- lightheadedness (dizziness)
For more detailed information about Abilify, ask your health care provider.